This course is an introduction to human identification use forensic DNA profiles. This course will encapsulate laboratory processes of extracting DNA information and explore the statistics of identification within large populations.
Students should have a basic knowledge of statistics.
Every Spring since 2008.
The Island of Tir Ebensea - Simulation Tool
To enhance this course a simulation tool will be used to provide students with hands-on scenarios.
- Preliminary Information
- Introduction to the Tir Ebensëa simulation
- A Crime Scenario
- Short Tandem Repeats
- Solving a scenario with STRs
- Review of Pertinent Statistics
- Computational Tools: Spreadsheets and Databases
- Population Sampling
- Migration Studies and Simulation
- Phylogenetic Trees
- Missing Persons
- Complications: degraded DNA, mixtures